Search & Win

Friday, October 21, 2011

Baby Week, Do Need and Don't Need

Hi all!  Well, this is the final day of all things baby.  Today I want to talk about things you do and don't need.  Baby stores will tell you that you can't live without everything.  Well, you don't need a whole lot.  But they don't really want you to know that.  So, lets get started.

There are some obvious things, like a car seat, diapers, etc.  We're not talking about those today, we're talking about extras.

First up, strollers.  You don't have to have a fancy stroller with all the bells and whistles like this one from Joovey ($229.00).  (I happen to love this stroller, but it is not a must.)

Instead you could use something more inexpensive, yet still very nice, this stroller is made so all you have to do is add your infant car seat and you are ready to go.  This is the Graco SnugRider, $64.99 at Baby's R Us.
High chairs are next on my list.  They are nice to have, but not 100% necessary.  If you want a low cost, space saving alternative, I suggest a Bumbo.  They are great when kids are learning to sit up, and great when they are older as well.  I have to say, for myself, it was my favorite baby item.   They can be purchased with a tray that makes them great as a feeding chair.  ($38 tray $9)

Another alternative is a space saving high chair, which is something I have.  My daughter was a chunky monkey so she didn't fit in the Bumbo when she got older.  ($69)

Wipe Warmer's are on my don't list.  They are not only unnecessary, they are a pain in the neck to use.  Plus, when you are out shopping in the winter, your wipes are not going to be warm, they will be really cold. ($29)

Changing tables.  This is one of those things that you need, yet don't.  I don't think you need a traditional changing table like this one.  ($134.99)

Instead I suggest finding a dresser (Craigslist is great) and adding a changing pad to the top of the dresser.
I spent 20 minutes on Craigslist and found three dressers for under $40.  A little paint, and some elbow grease and you could have yourself a cute dresser/changing table combo. This way, you have a dual purpose piece of furniture.  If you don't want that, you can always change the baby on a blanket on the floor.

Here are three items that are not necessary, but that you  might find helpful if you have a baby that likes to be entertained.  I have to admit I had all three and I liked them for various reasons and at different stages.
price ranges from $20-$75
prices from $30-$79

price: $79-$129
Now, a note about all of this.  You do NOT have to buy any of it brand new. Look on Craigslist, or in the want ads in your area.  Look for consignment shops or sales like JBF or Here Wee Grow Again, or Wee Cycle, you can get great prices at sales like this.  Ask your friends who have kids, find out where they get their deals. 
I hope you found this helpful.  If I missed something, let me know!
Melissa




1 comment:

  1. I loved my "johnny jump up." Amanda lived in it from 3-8 months. Austin, not so much. If your child loves them they're great! I would carry it from whatever room I was working in and just hang it in the door.

    ReplyDelete