Search & Win

Monday, February 7, 2011

Channeling My Inner Miss Mustard Seed?

If you follow Mustard Seed Creations or Funky Junk Interiors, you know that they have issued a challenge to each other, as well as anyone else who is interested.  They want you to try your hand at copying them, and they are copying each other!  Since they both have such different styles, it is going to get interesting!

I needed a gift for a friend, and I could not decide what to do.  Then as I was going through my frames I found this old oval frame that I picked up for $5 at a garage sale this summer.  I forgot to take a before pic, sorry!  Just picture an old gold frame that some nincumpoop added FLAT black paint to.  Kind of a wipe on wipe off technique is what it looked like.  Needless to say, it had a chalky look.  Not pretty.  But, she had good bones.

I've seen a few similar chalk boards that Miss Mustard Seed has done, and they turn out so great!  Here is my version!  Thanks for the inspiration Miss Mustard Seed!

First I primed her, I used a dark gray primer, it was what I had, and I knew when I was done it would work out great.

Next she got two coats of bright white, I would rather have used antique white, but its too cold outside to use spray paint.

Now, here, I took some 60 grit sand paper and roughed her up good.  At this point, I was seriously considering keeping her for myself, but alas, I have no where to put her.  Sigh.

Here I paused and decided to work on the center.  Hubby cut the hardboard for me, I'm glad, cause it wasn't easy.   I was at Lowe's the other day and noticed magnetic primer, I had to try it.  I painted 2 coats of magnetic primer, then 2 coats of blackboard paint.

Back to the frame, I mixed grey acrylic paint and glaze together and did a brush on wipe off.
Hubby helped me put it all together with glazier points, which are very easy to use, and inexpensive too!

After all that, I couldn't resist putting together some pale yellow flowers and gluing them onto magnets.  Honestly, the magnets are not that strong, but they work and they are pretty, just not useful.  I have to find some that are small, but strong.


A magnetic chalk board.  So what do you think, does this look like a Miss Mustard Seed project to you?
Melissa
Parties I'm Linking Too:
Copy Me Challenge @ Mustard Seed Creations
The DIY Showoff Parade @ DIY Showoff
Ten Dollar Tuesdays @ Young Nester
Tools Are for Women Too
Make it 4 Monday @ Cottage Instincts
Polly Want a Crafter
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Twice Owned Tuesdays @ House of Grace
Craft Catwalk @ Embellishing Life
Trash to Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions
Thrifty Thursdays @ Saved By Love Creations
Under $100 @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Frugal Friday @ Finding Fabulous
SNS @ Funky Junk Interiors
February DIY Project Party

9 comments:

  1. It's really cute! Love the oval frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute...I like it! I need to investigate the blogs you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your project linked on Miss Mustard Seed's blog and I think it turned out amazing! I'm going to have to find a frame and try this project out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I hear ya about the weak magnets. I've tried those before and they aren't very good. Fortunately, there are better ones out there but I don't remember where I found mine. I think it was Hobby Lobby but don't quote me on that.
    Aunt Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I would love for you to link up any of your projects to my Ten Buck Tuesday link parties!

    www.youngnester.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet, the flowers are a great addition. Thanks so much for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty chalkboard! Thanks for sharing the frame-painting technique!

    -caroline
    http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your frame is perfectly chippy white and as far as I am concerned everyone needs a good chalkboard or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the oval chalkboard--Gotta love chalkboard paint-now if someone would create chalkboard pens.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete