Search & Win

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Decisions, Decisions.....

Well, first of all, thanks to all of you who ventured to leave an opinion on what you thought I should do in my living and dinning room.  I appreciated everyone one of them!!  So, let me tell you what I have decided to do!

1.  Colorful curtains-several of you suggested colorful curtains, I plan to find some fabric that has the fall colors as well as maybe a bit of blue. Now, I must tell you, colorful curtains terrify me.  Why?  They can make or break a room.  My last attempt at colorful curtains was so awful I have yet to attempt anymore, but I'm going to try....  I will probably do curtains that go to the floor, and can easily be pulled across the windows.  A friend mentioned maybe having summer and winter curtains, which is an idea I really like.  So, I will be making a set of curtains just like the ones from Pottery Barn (below), mine will be white for summer!


2. I am making custom slipcovers for the two creamish colored dirty looking chairs in the living room.  I found what I think is going to be an awesome tutorial, and got the fabric, oatmeal colored drop cloths from Lowes!  I'll show you those as soon as they are done!

3.  I am going to make some pillows for my couch and chairs that will have the fall colors in them that should help tie the rooms together.
 
4.  I am going to move the white dresser to the opposite side of the front door, and hang an old window turned mirror above it.  Next to that will be one of my newly covered chairs, and an antique oak table.  (at least that's what I'm hoping to do!)

5. I am going to get a new rug for the living room!  I have one that I think might work, but if not, I'll find something!

Now, a lot of you said I should move the picture above the buffet into the living room.  Its a great idea, just one problem.  I have a 15 foot long wall, and the picture is only 18 X 36 inches.  Not nearly big enough to go over the couch.  It could go over the piano, but I'm not real sure it works there either, I'll try it and see.  So, I am on the look out for another similar picture that is larger.  If I don't find that, then I have a couple of other ideas.  1. get family pictures done this fall with all the fall colors, and have some enlargements made and hang those up over the couch.  2. Put up two 5 to 6 foot long shelves, and decorate them with various items.
For over the piano, I would like to put a picture of Hubby and Me, another of his side of the family, and one of my side of the family.  It would fill the space in nicely, but I could also do that over the buffet.  Tell me what you think!
I think that moving the furniture around, and doing the pillows and curtains is going to make a HUGE difference!  Its going to take a while to make it all come together, I have a limited budget, and can't do it all at once! (just like everyone else right?)  I'll try to show you pictures along the way as I finish things, so you can get an idea of what it will look like!  If you come up with any ideas please, please let me know!!
Thanks again for all your suggestions!
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fun fall project. When the weather starts to cool off I'm in the mood to re-arrange and maybe a bit of new decor. Have fun. Sounds like you have some good ideas. I love the idea of winter and summer curtains. LM

    ReplyDelete