Search & Win

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Great Veggie Experiemen: Skinny Mashed "Potatoes"

If you are like me, you are always looking for a way to eat something you love, without all the fat, calories, and carbs, and in my case, low in Weight Watchers Points.  There are certain meals, like meat loaf, turkey, and roasted chicken that we love, and we love to have mashed potatoes with them. 

This week we tried Rutabagas.  They are a strange looking veggie, they look a lot like a purple bulb, and they are waxed.  Being me, I had to figure out why they are waxed, so I googled it.
"Rutabagas are harvested in autumn and then dipped in wax to preserve them over the winter. Wax-coated rutabagas should always be peeled before cooking."

To prepare a rutabaga for cooking, you have peel it, then cut it up.  If you are boiling it, as we are in this recipe I suggest slicing it in 1/4 inch pieces, then cutting them into smaller chunks from there.  They will cook a lot faster that way, rutabagas are a lot harder than potatoes.

Skinny Mashed "Potatoes"

1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into large, thick chunks
1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into thin small pieces
1/4 cup light or non fat sour cream
1 T butter
salt and pepper to taste
optional: non fat chicken broth

boil the potato and rutabaga till the rutabaga is tender and soft.  Drain water and mash.  Add butter and blend till melted, add sour cream and blend, salt and pepper to taste. 

This makes 5-6 servings (depending on veggie size) The best part, if you are on Weight Watchers, this is only 2 pts per serving!!  Rutabagas are 0 points, the potato is 7 pts, butter 3 pt, sour cream 2 pts for a grand total of 12 points, divided by 6 servings and you get 2 pts per serving! 

Do the rutabagas change the taste of the mashed potatoes?  Nope.  My husband thought I just used Yukon gold potatoes because they were a creamy yellow color when they were done.  Even my 4 year old loved them!

We paired these Skinny Mashed Potatoes with Honey Pecan Salmon from The Girl Who Ate Everything which was wonderful!  I only made one change to the recipe, I added a little Pampered Chef Chiptole seasoning to it for a great smoky taste. 
On another note, we also tried roasted Beets.  I have had beets pickled, raw and roasted, and no matter how they are done, they taste like DIRT!  My husband said they were not worth the time to eat them, my daughter took one bite and with tears in her eyes asked if she could please, please spit it out. (No, she's not dramatic at all.)  So, beets will not be making their way into our house again. 

Hope you all have a great week, enjoy your Skinny Mashed potatoes!
Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Waxed? I didn't know that... I sometimes microwave them and then peel them. I haven't noticed wax, hmm, going to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dramatic? Kind of runs in the family, I think. I like canned beets from the store but have never tried my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. . .I've never had rutabaga myself and always kinda wondered about it. This actually sounds like a recipe that we would eat. My husband and I have contemplated beets as well. You've kinda sealed it for me though that I probably wouldn't like them. Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet!

    ReplyDelete