Search & Win

Friday, April 15, 2011

Grilled Veggie Packets YUM!!

I thought that today I would share my favorite summer time dinner recipe.  This is the dinner I make when it is hot, and I don't want to heat up the kitchen.  First you start with meat, in this case, it was steak for us.

Don't worry, they were yummy!
Next, fresh veggies!  Have you ever made veggie packets?  If not, here's how.  You start with two large pieces of foil, set in a cross pattern.  Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the center of the cross, then layer with your hardest veggies first.  I actually like to start with potatoes first, since they take a while to cook, then add the carrots, and a few slices of onion, add a bit of spice, I like to use a mix of garlic, pepper, salt, and parsley.  Just keep layering the veggies, adding a few onion slices every few layers.  Veggies like asparagus should go last.  After all this, lightly \drizzle a little more olive oil over the top, then sprinkle liberally with a balsamic vinaigrette, last night I used a raspberry vinaigrette, it was wonderful!  It adds just a hint of sweetness to the veggies.

Next, pull the long edges of the foil together and fold tightly, then fold the ends as much as you can.  Pull the next piece of foil around it as well, repeating the process.  You want to totally seal the package.
If you have a top rack in your grill, place the veggies on the top rack, and it will take 45-1 hour to cook.  If not, place the veggie packets right on the grill, but choose the coolest spot, otherwise the veggies on the bottom will burn, this should only take about 30 minutes.

This makes a wonderful healthy dinner, and it doesn't heat up your kitchen!  It is like a taste of summer to me, and I greatly enjoyed it last night!
 Melissa

2 comments:

  1. This looks familiar. We make these all the time. I do mine a little different but both ways work!

    ReplyDelete