Search & Win

Friday, December 10, 2010

What is a Dremel?

What is a Dremel?  This was the question asked by one of my followers.  Well....let me tell you!  This is a great power tool.  It is multipurpose, which I love, and is particularly useful for small things.  Here is the one I want.

Here are the specs:

4000 High Performance Rotary Tool
New
The Dremel 4000 variable speed rotary tool offers the highest performance and most versatility of all Dremel rotary tools. The increased strength of its motor plus electronic feedback circuitry enables consistent performance at all speed levels. Dremel 4000 can use all existing Dremel accessories and attachments plus high-performance attachments to complete the widest range of projects. A slim, ergonomic body provides a 360-degree grip zone for comfort and control in any grip position.
  • High-performance motor for maximum performance at all speeds
  • Electronic feedback for consistent speed under load
  • Variable speed for greater versatility
  • Can be used with all Dremel accessories and attachments
There are so many great attachments for these, depending on the Dremel you get, a lot of the attachments come with the Dremel tool.  But, since they don't show which ones come with it on their website, I thought I'd show you a  kit that I wouldn't mind having.


Specs:

  • This versatile and re-usable accessory kit includes everything you need to cut, grind, sand, polish, drill, sharpen, clean and more.
Includes
  • 540 1-1/4" Cut-Off Wheel
  • 428 3/4" Carbon Steel Brush
  • 421 Polishing Compound
  • 429 1" Felt Polishing Wheel (4)
  • 83142 Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone
  • 191 High-Speed Cutter
  • 407 1/2" 60 Grit Sanding Drum with Mandrel
  • 430 1/4" 60 Grit Sanding Band with Mandrel
  • 402 Mandrel
  • 90962 Wrench
  • 953 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
  • 84922 Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone
  • 952 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone
  • 409 15/16" Emery Cut-Off Wheel (12)
  • 420 15/16" Heavy Duty Emery Cut-Off Wheel (12)
  • 426 1-1/4" Fiberglass-Reinforced Cut-Off Wheel
  • 414 Small Felt Wheel (4)
  • 422 Cone Polishing Tip
  • 408 1/2" 60 Grit Sanding Band (6)
  • 411 3/4" Sanding Disc, 180 grit (12)
  • 412 3/4" Sanding Disc, 220 Grit (12)
  • 413 3/4" Sanding Disc, 240 Grit (12)
  • 431 1/4" 60 Grit Sanding Band (6)
  • 432 1/2" 120 Grit Sanding Band (6)
  • 438 1/4" 120 Grit Sanding Band (6)
  • 401 Mandrel
  • 415 Dressing Stone
  • 405 Bristle Brush
  • 511E 180 Grit Abrasive Buff
User Tips
  • Keep a light touch, letting the speed of the tool do the work. This helps your accessories last longer.
  • If chattering occurs, increase speed.
As you can see, they have lots of uses.  There are kits for cutting, like little saw blades, which can cut something 1/2 inch thick or less. (This would be great for the doll house kit I am supposed to be building for Little Monkey). Other kits have carving tools, polishing tools, sanding (which would be great for close small spots that need a bit of sanding), diamond blades, as well as etching tools. 

Why do I want one?  Well, I have multiple projects that I want to do, like the doll house, and a couple of picture frames with intricate detail, that need some work.  I also have a couple of ideas for projects that could be etched or carved.  There are just so many possibilities, plus, it would be nice to have one here at home.  Hubby has one, but it is in his work van and when I need it, it means I only get to have it for a couple hours, and I have to wait for it.  Anyway, I am pretty sure I've talked Hubby into it, he said if he finds a deal before then, I might even get it early.  I think the tipping point was reminding him that there have been lots of times he wished his Dremel was at home, but it wasn't.  This way we can both use it! 
Well, dear follower, I hope this answers your question, and if you all want more info on all the hundred's of attachments and accessories for the Dremel, you can go here to find more.
Melissa







            

2 comments:

  1. We have one. I don't utilize it much at all but it is hubs - so maybe that is why. :)

    If you get one and use it maybe you will inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Hey if you will email me your email address I will send you an invite to my blog. I have to as private because I am putting photos on there. My email address is akstamper87@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete