Search & Win

Friday, April 27, 2012

Frontier Culture Museum part 2 (picture heavy again!)

Welcome back to part two of the Frontier Culture Museum.  The second half of the Museum is dedicated to American culture. 

This is what an early American farm looked like.  The house, well lets just say it was not weather resistant.  Here is what the inside looked like.
Looks cozy right?  Sorry, but I don't think I could have lived like that for long.  I like my heater. :)

The next farm you see is an 1850's farm house from Virginia.  This one was moved to the museum in pieces as well. 
This house has two front doors.  The left side of the house was built first, it was a large room downstairs, as well as a small bedroom, and a large loft above.  It housed a family of 4 or 5 I believe.  The other half of the house was added later by a son, it is a hall, large room, and two rooms upstairs.  I really like this house, I could live in it. Well, if it had indoor plumbing anyway.

I really love this corner cabinet, it was so pretty, and simple

This is the large room, used as a living room of sorts, and also for church

part of the kitchen of course they cooked on a big cast iron wood stove
 Right next to this farm house is an old school house, it came from somewhere near Roanoke, VA I believe.  It was a one room school house, all grades one teacher.  I can't imagine what it would be like to teach like that!

The last farm that you see is also from Virginia, I forget where they said it came from.  It was built in the 1870's. 
once again cooking over an open fire.

The day we were there a lady and young teen were making donuts and cooking them over the open fire.  My pictures were a bit blury so I can't show them to you, but man did that fire make the kitchen hot!  It was alreayd a 73 degree day, but it was 90 in that kitchen, they opened the doors and windows but it was too windy and was blowing ash around.  Like I said, I like my A/C not sure I could do this. 
I loved this hutch, it was orange and blue, so of course I loved it!
The kids bedroom. This one would sleep 5, notice the kitty in the middle of the bed?
The other half of the kids room.
The visit would not have been complete without seeing the darling, somewhat wobbly new lambs.  The kids really loved watching them scamper around and fall all over themselves. 

Well, I hope you all enjoyed your tour of the Frontier Culture Museum!  We really enjoyed the day, but the best part of all?  We got to meet our soon to be new sister in law for the first time, and we all loved her!  (there wasn't any doubt that we wouldn't love her)  We are looking forward to having her as part of the family!
Have a great weekend, we'll talk again on Monday!
Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment